Can I Still Be Pregnant if I Took the Morning-After Pill?
💊 Perhaps you are wondering whether to take the morning-after pill. Take the self-evaluation!
The emergency contraceptive pill (morning-after pill) is a drug that can be taken within a specific time window after sexual intercourse to prevent pregnancy. However, it is still possible to become pregnant.
Read on to discover how this can happen and what you can do if you are unintentionally pregnant — despite the morning-after pill.
Morning-After Pill – Your Self-Assessment
Are you wondering whether the morning-after pill is right for you? Answer three multiple choice questions and receive an immediate professional evaluation on your screen!
Why Can the Morning-After Pill Fail?
There are several reasons why a woman can get pregnant despite taking the emergency contraceptive pill:
It is possible to become pregnant despite taking the morning-after pill if the drug was taken too late in the monthly cycle and ovulation had already occurred or was occurring.
Why? The morning-after pill suppresses or postpones ovulation. As a result, any sperm in the woman’s reproductive tract will have died off before ovulation occurs. Therefore the egg cannot be fertilized and pregnancy is prevented.
This means that the morning-after pill is only effective when ovulation has not yet occurred. If ovulation is already in progress or completed, pregnancy may occur since the egg is already "on its way" and can be fertilized.
ℹ️ The morning-after pill may prevent the fertilized egg from attaching to the uterine wall.
According to statistics, 95 percent of pregnancies are prevented if the morning-after pill is taken within 24 hours. It is 85 percent effective if taken on the second day after sexual intercourse (24 to 48 hours later).
- How Does Pregnancy Happen? - in this article you can read more about how fertilization works, when a woman is fertile and how she can get pregnant.
Further Reasons for Becoming Pregnant Despite Plan B
The effects of the morning after pill may also be diminished in the following cases:
- Vomiting within three hours after taking the pill
- Taking other medications
- being severely overweight
🤰 “Am I pregnant despite the morning-after pill?” — Take the Online Pregnancy Test! Describe your situation and receive an immediate professional evaluation!
💊 For more information about the morning-after pill, go to When to Take Plan B?
Pregnant After Taking the Morning-After Pill?
Perhaps you have recently taken the morning-after pill and feel that you might still have become pregnant. Maybe you’ve missed your period, your breasts are tender, or you’ve noticed other signs of pregnancy.
In this situation, it is a good idea to take a deep breath and then make sense of what is happening. The symptoms you think are pregnancy related could be an after-effect of the emergency contraceptive pill.
Even though the morning-after pill is easy to use, it is still a medication with a high dose of hormones. These interfere significantly with your hormonal balance and physical processes. This is why there are often noticeable side effects, which can be similar to premenstrual symptoms.
Possible side effects include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Breast tenderness and hypersensitivity
- Menstrual irregularities
You may like:
- 🤔 Could my symptoms be early signs of pregnancy? Take the Test!
- You can be more certain by taking a home pregnancy test from the pharmacy section of your local supermarket. For more information, go to "How Does a Pregnancy Test Work?”
- 🧑⚕️ (Maybe) Pregnant: How Soon Should I See a Doctor? Take the self-evaluation!
Pregnant With Plan B — Now What?
Perhaps you have taken the morning-after pill — and now you have found out that you are pregnant anyway... although you probably wanted to avoid pregnancy by all means. This situation can pull the rug from under your feet, and you are likely wondering what to do now.
Try these things:
- Give yourself time - to process this news, calm down, and let your decision mature. Check out "Until When Can I Get an Abortion" which tells you how much time you have left to make this decision!
- Use our judgment-free resources to find the path that is right for you:
You may also like: