Abortion Prices and Coverage — International Overview
- The cost of an abortion varies greatly from country to country.
- The exact price depends on the type of procedure, gestation, physician fees, and location.
- Many governments subsidize abortion.
⚖️ Should I get an abortion? Take the Abortion Test
Abortion Cost — Determining Factors
The following four factors play a role in the cost of an abortion:
- 🩺 Abortion Method:
Vacuum aspiration is the most common procedure. In-clinic procedures, including suction extraction, are usually more expensive than the abortion pill. For more details, see below.
- 🕰 Gestation:
Generally speaking, the greater the gestational age, the more expensive the abortion. After 9 weeks gestation, only in-clinic procedures are possible. This would affect the minimum price of an abortion.
- 👨⚕️ Physician’s Fees:
Depending on the examinations deemed necessary by the doctor, as well as the type of anesthesia used, prices vary greatly. Each physician also has the freedom to set his own fees.
- 📍 Location:
Prices vary depending on your location. On average, the tighter the abortion regulations, the higher the cost.
📖 You may like: Abortion FAQs
How Much Abortion Cost — International Overview
Depending on the country and procedure, prices vary. Find information and pricing estimates for your region below:
- Medical abortions (pill): $350–$650
- Vacuum aspirations: $600–$1,000
- D&C abortions: $850–$1,600
- D&E abortions $1,500–2,100
Great Britain and Northern Ireland:
The National Health Service (NHS) covers the full cost of abortion in majority of cases. If opting for privately funding an abortion, price estimates are:
- Medical abortion pill (under 10 weeks): £500
- Surgical abortion:
- Up to 14 weeks: £680
- Up to 18 weeks: £900
- Up to 24 weeks: £2000
Republic of Ireland:
Abortions are free of charge in the public health services.
Private medical abortion (pill): £450 / €540
- Up to 14 weeks: £450 / €540
- Up to 18 weeks: £670 / €810
- Up to 24 weeks: £1,410 / €1,700
In the Northern Territory and South Australia, abortions are free.
In all other states, medical abortions (pill) cost AUS $220–$440.
Surgical abortions cost AUS $330–$500.
Abortion services are insured in all provinces.
Private abortions range from CAN $450 to $900, depending on the gestational age.
Abortions are free to anyone eligible for publicly funded healthcare.
- Private first trimester abortions range from NZ $840–$3,158
- Medical abortions (pill): NZ $840–$2,379
- Vacuum aspirations, local anesthesia: NZ $1,144–$2,400
- Vacuum aspirations, general anesthesia: NZ $1,900–$3,158
Abortions are fully covered by public services, but availability is often limited.
Private abortions start at R800 (US $54).
Medical abortions (pill) cost around R945 (US $64), vacuum extractions cost R1035 (US $70).
See our Austrian page: Kosten einer Abtreibung [+Rechner]
First trimester abortions cost an average of US $100.
See our German page: Kosten einer Abtreibung [+Rechner]
See our Italian page: Costi di un aborto in Italia
Abortions can be obtained free of charge at 13 locations in Mexico City.
- Private abortions range from MXN 1,500 to MXN 10,000
- Medical abortions (pill): MXN 1,950 (US $100)
- Vacuum aspirations, local anesthesia: MXN 9,950 (US $150)
- Vacuum aspirations, general anesthesia: MXN 5,900 (US $300)
If you live in the Netherlands, abortions are covered under the Exceptional Medical Expenses Act (abortion clinic) or by your health insurer (licensed hospital).
Non-residents must pay:
- Medical abortions (pill) usually cost €450–€570.
- Vacuum aspirations cost up to €1,300.
See our Portuguese page: Quanto custa um aborto
See our Swiss page: Abtreibungskosten
First trimester abortions cost an average of US $250.
Try not to make finances the deciding factor. Take a deep breath and calmly look at your concerns instead of rushing into an abortion to meet a deadline. You are worth more than a quick fix!
Your emotional and physical well-being matter! Take the time you need to address any concerns you might have. Doing so lets you reach a decision that is in tune with your heart and mind.
- Considering traveling for an abortion? Read about Abortion Abroad.
- Wondering how much mail-order abortions cost? Go to Tele-Abortion.
- Want to know how much the abortion pill costs at the pharmacy? Go to Over-the-Counter Abortion Pill.
Abortion Pricing For Minors
No matter your age, the cost of an abortion stays the same. Having an abortion at 15 or 16 costs just as much as an abortion for an adult. Refer to your country in the chart above for specific pricing.
The difference lies in the abortion regulations, which may place restrictions on minors.
For more information, go to:
- Abortion Without Parental Consent
- 🙍🏽♀️ Pregnant under 18: Should I get an abortion? Take the Test!
Who Pays For the Abortion?
In most cases, women pay for their abortions if government funding or insurance is unavailable.
Note: Repeat abortions are not charged differently since insurances and governments do not impose a maximum limit.
Concerned about having another abortion or wondering whether it is associated with greater risks?
- 🚺 Pregnant again after an abortion? Take the Test
Can Men Be Required To Pay For the Abortion?
Unless the pregnancy results from rape or threatens the mother’s life, she is responsible for paying for the abortion—payments are usually required on the day of the procedure.
The father is under no obligation to pay for the abortion in part or in full. Should you decide to keep the baby, the father would most likely be required by law to pay child support.
If you are asking this question right now, your reason for pursuing an abortion probably has a lot to do with your relationship. You are not alone! Relationship issues are the main concern for many women seeking a termination.
If you are dealing with a complicated relationship right now, use one of the following tests to aid you in determining your next step:
- 🧔🏻 How do I react if he does not want the baby?
- ️👩❤️👨 Pregnant from an affair — Now what?
- 🙎🏻♂️Acknowledging Paternity — How to navigate issues with the dad
Where Do I Go From Here?
The cost of an abortion is probably of personal significance to you right now. You may have just found out you are pregnant, and are trying to decide what to do next. This can be a confusing time, as many thoughts and emotions come at you all at once. You feel under pressure to find a quick solution but are unsure which path to take.
You are not alone! We would love to come alongside you as you stand at this crossroads. Our team of compassionate experts wants to see you thrive. This can only happen if you have the freedom to find the path that is right for you. Our judgement-free resources to help you discern a way forward:
- ⛑ Where do I go from here? – Take the First Aid Test
- 💡Are you dealing with a specific concern? – Take the Solutions Finder Test
Our Top Picks for You:
All prices are subject to change. profemina does not guarantee the costs mentioned above. All prices are intended as a guideline only.