Can You Get the Abortion Pill at CVS?
- Recently CVS, Walgreens, and Rite-Aid announced their decisions to undergo the necessary training to distribute the abortion pill.
- Abortion pills will be by prescription only, as are all other abortion medications.
- Only states where abortion is legal will allow pharmacies to distribute the abortion pill.
⚖️ Wondering whether to have an abortion or not? Take the Abortion Test!
Can I Get the Abortion Pill at the Pharmacy?
No pharmacy in the US is currently distributing the abortion pill.
Several pharmacies are presently undergoing the registration process to become distributors. Until then, all pills must be collected at the abortion clinic or received by mail.
Some countries, such as Australia and Canada, already allow the abortion pill to be dispensed at pharmacies.
For more information on the abortion pill by post in your country, go to Tele-Abortion.
Do I Need a Prescription to Get the Abortion Pill?
Once a pharmacy is certified to provide the abortion pill, they can dispense it only on prescription. The abortion pill is heavily regulated because of the strain it places on the woman's body and the risks involved, such as heavy blood loss and incomplete abortion. Therefore, a doctor's supervision is necessary to avoid serious complications.
- Read more about the risks and side effects of a medical abortion.
Is the Abortion Pill Available on Prescription in My State (USA)?
Only pharmacies located in US states where abortion is legal will be able to distribute the abortion pill. Additionally, restrictions may apply to Alaska, Iowa, Kansas, and Montana due to decisions made by the state attorneys general.
- Information on whether abortion is legal in your state can be found in Until When Can I Get an Abortion?
Costs to Fill an Abortion Pill Prescription
Currently, no information is available on the cost of abortion pills at your local pharmacy since distribution has not yet begun. Prices may vary according to pharmaceutical companies and insurance co-pays.
For more information on the cost of various abortion methods in your area, go to How Much Does an Abortion Cost?
Over the Counter Abortion Pill
No abortion medication is available without a prescription. Misoprostol, known as the over-the-counter abortion pill, can only be obtained by prescription in western nations. It is available at most pharmacies since its active ingredient, prostaglandin, is also used to treat gastric ulcers.
Using misoprostol for abortive purposes is also referred to as Cytotec abortion, since Cytotec is one of the brand names of misoprostol.
Misoprostol is identical to the second of the medication combination commonly prescribed as the “abortion pill.”
What do I need to know?
Risks and Side Effects of Cytotec Abortion
Using misoprostol for an abortion without mifepristone is less effective and more likely to cause side effects, increasing health risks and physical discomfort. According to the NY Times (03.08.2023), the need for physician intervention increases with a "miso-alone protocol."
Misoprostol vs. Abortion Pill
- The failure rate is much higher than in combination with mifepristone.
- 50% of reproductive healthcare providers deem this method unsafe.
- The most common complication is incomplete abortion. Fetal tissue remaining in the uterus can lead to infection.
Since Cytotec is more widely available than the abortion pill, some women consider obtaining this medication from sources other than an abortion provider.
⚠️ Any abortion without medical supervision poses a higher risk to the woman’s health:
- Frequently women miscalculate how far along they are, leading to a termination later than intended. The risk of serious complications drastically increases with medical abortions performed after the 10th week of pregnancy.
- Ectopic pregnancies could be left undiagnosed, leading to a life-threatening situation.
🧑⚕️ (Suspecting a) pregnancy – How soon to see a doctor? Test
I am Pregnant — What Now?
Perhaps you just found out that you are pregnant. This news would have pulled the rug from under your feet. We are glad your search for answers has led you to our page!
We want to be there for you because your life matters!
It may take a while for the news to sink in and for it to become clear which direction you want to go. As you determine your next steps, take advantage of our unbiased and judgment-free self-assessments. Upon the completion of each test, you will receive a free professional evaluation:
- 💡 Solutions Finder Test
- 🧔🏻♂️ How do I react if he does not want the baby?
- 🙎♀️ Pregnant under 18: Should I get an abortion?
- 📝 Abortion Pros and Cons – My Personal List