Can You Get Pregnant Despite Using a Diaphragm for Contraception?
Yes, it is possible to get pregnant – even if using a diaphragm! Read about why this is possible, how often it happens, and what your next steps could be if you have become pregnant despite contraception.
You may like:
- 🤰🏻 Am I pregnant? - Take the Online Pregnancy Test
Likelihood of Pregnancy With Diaphragm
The Pearl Index measures the efficacy of each contraceptive type. The rate for pregnancies with diaphragms is between 1-20 when used in combination with a spermicide. This means that, on average, 1 to 20 in 100 women become pregnant every year while using diaphragms.
Possible Causes of Pregnancy With Diaphragm
You may become pregnant with diaphragm if:
- the cervix is not completely covered.
- the diaphragm is the wrong size. (The diaphragm needs to be refitted after weight fluctuations of more than 6 lbs (3 kg) and after giving birth.)
- the diaphragm is removed too soon after sexual intercourse. (It needs to stay in place for at least eight hours.)
- the diaphragm is damaged or has material defects.
Positioning and timing are important; it must fit perfectly in order to be effective. The woman inserts the diaphragm deep into the vagina, completely covering the cervix, 30 minutes to a maximum of two hours before intercourse.
Other requirements for the diaphragm’s effectiveness are: correct size, free of defects, and used in combination with a spermicidal gel.
Pregnant With Diaphragm?!
Worried you might be pregnant, even though you used a diaphragm? Positive pregnancy test? You have come to the right place! Here are some tips on what to do next:
1. Am I pregnant?
Unsure whether you might be pregnant? Don’t let the uncertainty drive you crazy - find out as soon as possible!
- First, take a deep breath! Are you noticing any typical signs of pregnancy? Is your period overdue?
- 🤰The Online Pregnancy Test may help. Take this free test online and receive an immediate personal evaluation.
- Purchase a home pregnancy test from the pharmacy section of your convenience store. Click here to read about how a home pregnancy test works.
2. Unplanned pregnancy with diaphragm
If you just found out you are pregnant, you are probably experiencing a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. You may feel like your whole world is falling apart and you do not know where to turn…
You are not alone! Allow us to walk alongside you. We would like to create judgement-free environment in which you feel safe and heard. Make the decision that is just right for you:
- 🕰 Let the news sink in. Allow yourself time to come to terms with this situation. There is no need to rush! You are worth more than a quick fix! The legal parameters usually give you plenty of time. Go to: Until When Can I Have an Abortion?
- ⚖️ If you are wondering whether to have an abortion or not, take the free Abortion Test! You will receive a detailed personal evaluation.
- 🤔 Want to know why many other women consider having an abortion? Go to: The 4 Most Common Reasons For Abortions.
- 💰 Looking for more specific information? Go to: How Much Does an Abortion Cost?
- ⛑ Wondering where to go from here? Take our First Aid Test!
In case you were wondering: The lubricant used in combination with the diaphragm has no known harmful effects on the baby. Feel free to consult your doctor for more information.
You may also like:
- https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/diaphragm/about/pac-20393781 (As of October 2021)